Thursday, September 5, 2013

I Will Remember

Dear Lincoln,

You probably won't remember this, but I promise you that I will. Every night before bed and when I'm lucky enough to be home before nap, we rock. I get you changed and then ask you if you want to cuddle. I always get a big smile and your exaggerated node. 

You are a busy little man who never stops moving. You spend your days climbing furniture, getting in to or out of things, and proving to us that there is no such thing as Lincoln proof. The only time you sit still is for about 10 seconds when you jump on the couch beside your brother and try to imitate him watching tv. Only you can't do it. Your little body must move.

But before nap and bed you finally cuddle up to me and give that body of yours a break. You put your head on my shoulder and in the crook of my neck. It fits so perfectly there. As do your legs around my stomach, and your hands on my arms. When you aren't tired enough yet you tap your little fingers on my arm. You lay there and I can feel your heart beat, as I'm sure you can feel mine. Your little body usually twitches a few times while it tries to relax. 

I usually move you to your crib while you are still awake but sometimes I just can't. Sometimes, when I feel you become heavy as you drift off to sleep I feel like there is no where else I'd rather be. I usually sit there soaking it in. I'll admit that sometimes I'm just so relieved that you are finally asleep (for your sake and/or mine), but then I remember that I'm going to miss this someday. I'm going to miss feeling your heart beat, hearing your breath, and having you fit so perfectly cuddled up on my lap. 

But I will always remember.

Love,
mum

No comments: